Saturday, March 24, 2007

News Article

Bill McEwen, a columnist for the Fresno Bee, published a column 2 days ago. Bill is my favorite columnist at the Bee and can remember when he was a reporter for Fresno State Athletics. I am heavily referenced in the article and you can be the judge as to whether I come off as a snitch or just trying to do the right thing.

Anyway, the story (Click here to read) concerns a lawsuit that the former Fresno State Woman's basketball coach has filed alleging her firing was in part due to gender discrimination, and her attorney is trying to show that the attitude of the Athletic Administrators toward men with drug problems were different than the attitude toward women. Terry Pettis, former men's basketball star is the case in point.

Just before Terry Pettis was sentenced for the shooting of a young woman in a drug deal gone bad, he 'told all' to the Fresno Bee and alleged that his coach and administrators let him down by allowing him to play drug dirty rather than cleaning him up. Pettis was not alone in having problems complying with rules and regulations. Click for an interesting article published when Terry was suspended for good from the team.

Following the publication of the story and following Pettis' sentencing to life without parole, I wrote him a letter, having been asked not to by Fresno State Athletics until the matter was settled (I am OK with this).

In the letter I ask him to forgive his superiors so he could move on. Personally, I think that his coach and AD and President did what they felt best and only in hind site did it appear to be the wrong approach. In other words, I do not have any criticism of the Administrators since there is a much bigger picture to University Athletics and some decisions may not be in the best interest of an individual athlete but in the best interest of the University and community. This is a never ending dilemma: who should supervise the behavior of athletes - coaches?, administrators?.

For me there is little conflict since the Hippocratic Oath says: (I will prescribe regimens for the good of my patients according to my ability and my judgment and never do harm to anyone).

No comments: